Sunday, September 14, 2008

Support boobies!





So this weekend was the Avon 2 day walk for breast cancer. I had done the walk, 2, or 3? times before, but this year I worked as medical crew member. Such a different experience but awesome none the less. At first I didn't feel as valuable as I had as a walker. The whole purpose is to gain attention and funding for breast cancer research and treatment, and done through thousands of people raising a significant amount of money then vowing to walk 39.some miles (or as much as they can). It is an amazing feat and takes a ton of time, energy and dedication. As much as the finances are a huge priority, that is not the rewarding part. The rewarding part is crossing that finish line, going down the victory tunnel and knowing that what you're doing is going to make a difference in someone's life. May not mean finding a cure, but if seeing a sea of pink walk by reminds one woman to get her mammogram, that could potentially save a life. And that may be just the minimum effect. Hopefully someday all of our and others' hard work can lead to a cure, or better treatment to save not only one person's life, but millions of peoples lives. Doing crew was different, you don't experience that bond with all those walking. It got me down at first. But then I remembered how valuable the medical crew was to me during my walks, and everyone else. Granted, if it wasn't for the walkers, Iwould have no need to be there. But if it wasn't for myself and all the other crew people, medical, food service, clean-up, everyone who volunteered their time, the walkers couldn't do it all either. Each blister I popped and knee I wrapped and iced may not have meant much, but it makes a difference when it helps make those miles a little easier than they would have been had I not been there. I have already signed up for next year, and look forward to it. And I am even happier to say that Derek is signed up to walk for next year, so look forward to supporting him to raise funds!! I am so glad he's doing it

2 comments:

malia said...

Of course, you made a difference, just imagine what a walk would be like without medical? It would not happen!
You made a difference in my experience also! Cant wait for next year! I am so excited already! lol I am a dork.

Pixie said...

I dunno what it's like in Medical, but we had MANY walkers thank US for being there to support them. If nothing else, we've made their load lighter. That day was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. :)